There are a lot of myths about how to play with The Ordinary products. Some products you could mix and match, but some cannot. Refer to the comprehensive notes I’ve collected below – some of which is based on the research I did at Cassandra Bankson’s Youtube Channel. I’ve also attached the link on the bottom. Hope you enjoy it.💞
Understanding Mixing & Layering
Before we delve into specific product combinations, let’s understand the concept of mixing and layering in skincare. Mixing refers to combining two or more products in your hand before applying them to your face, while layering involves applying products one after another in a specific order. The goal is to enhance the effectiveness of each product and create a personalized skincare routine that caters to your specific needs.
More from Glowing Gorgeous: Find out here the Best Silicone-Free Moisturizers And Why Do You Care
Antioxidants are powerhouse ingredients that protect your skin from free radicals and promote a youthful complexion. However, it’s important to note that antioxidants don’t pair well with water-based products. To ensure optimal results, follow these guidelines:
- Don’t mix with other products on your hands: Avoid combining antioxidants with other products on your hands before application.
- Wait before moving to the next step: Allow 30 minutes to 1 hour for the antioxidant product to fully absorb into your skin before proceeding with the next step of your skincare routine.
- Alternate morning and evening use: If you’re using conflicting products like antioxidants and contraindicated products (e.g., acids, Vitamin C, L Ascorbic Acid 100%, and Copper Peptides), use one in the morning and the other in the evening.
The Ordinary – EUK 134 0.1%
The EUK 134 0.1% serum from The Ordinary offers antioxidant benefits. However, it’s important to avoid mixing it with certain products to maintain its efficacy. Here’s what you need to know:
- Avoid mixing with Acids, Vitamin C, L Ascorbic Acid 100%, and Copper Peptides: These combinations may interfere with the effectiveness of the EUK 134 serum. It’s best to use them separately in your skincare routine.
Product Description: The Ordinary EUK 134 Serum 0.1% is a potent antioxidant serum that helps protect the skin against environmental damage and oxidative stress. With regular use, it can promote a healthier, more radiant complexion. This serum is available in a 30ml bottle and is priced at US$9.30.
The Ordinary – Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3%
Resveratrol and Ferulic Acid are powerful antioxidants known for their anti-aging properties. When using The Ordinary’s Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3% serum, it’s important to avoid mixing it with water-based formulas and Copper Peptides. This will ensure the stability and effectiveness of the product.
Product Description: The Ordinary Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3% is a potent antioxidant serum that helps reduce the visible signs of aging. It promotes a smoother, more youthful complexion and provides protection against environmental stressors. This serum is available in a 30ml bottle.
The Ordinary – Pycnogenol 5%
Derived from pine trees, The Ordinary’s Pycnogenol 5% is a stable and friendly product that can be easily combined with other skincare ingredients. Here are the recommendations for mixing and layering:
- Avoid mixing with water-based formulas and Copper Peptides: To maintain the stability of Pycnogenol 5%, refrain from mixing it with water-based formulas and Copper Peptides.
- Compatible with Vitamin C, retinol, and niacinamide: You can safely combine Pycnogenol 5% with these ingredients to enhance their benefits.
Product Description: The Ordinary Pycnogenol 5% is a powerful antioxidant serum derived from pine trees. It provides a range of skincare benefits, including reducing redness, improving skin elasticity, and protecting against environmental damage. This serum is available in a 30ml bottle.
The Ordinary – Squalane Cleanser
The Squalane Cleanser from The Ordinary is a versatile product that works well with other skincare products. It effectively removes impurities without stripping the skin’s natural oils. You can confidently include it in your skincare routine without worrying about contraindications.
Product Description: The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser is a gentle and hydrating cleanser that effectively removes makeup, dirt, and impurities from the skin. It leaves the skin feeling clean, soft, and nourished. This cleanser comes in a convenient tube packaging.
The Ordinary – Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution
Glycolic Acid is an exfoliating ingredient that helps improve skin texture and promote a radiant complexion. The Ordinary’s Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution is a powerful product, and it’s important to use it correctly to avoid any potential issues:
More from Glowing Gorgeous: Find out here Hyram’s Recommended Face Sunscreens For The Summer
- Use once a day: Incorporate the Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution into your skincare routine once a day. Overuse can lead to irritation and sensitivity.
- Be careful with other acid products: When using the toning solution, be cautious about introducing other acid-based products into your routine. Combining multiple acid products can increase the risk of irritation.
- Avoid mixing with retinol: Glycolic Acid and retinol can be too harsh when used together, so it’s best to avoid combining them.
- Avoid mixing with antioxidants, The Buffet, and Copper Peptides: These combinations may compromise the effectiveness of the products. If you’re interested in using peptides, apply the toner first, let it absorb for about 10 minutes, and then follow with the peptides.
Product Description: The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution is a high-strength exfoliating toner that helps improve skin texture, clarity, and radiance. It effectively removes dead skin cells, unclogs pores, and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This toner comes in a 240ml bottle.
The Ordinary – AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
The AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution from The Ordinary is a potent exfoliating treatment. Due to its strength, it’s essential to use it properly and avoid certain product combinations:
- Avoid mixing with other acids: The AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution is already a strong exfoliant on its own, so it’s not recommended to use it alongside other acids. Using multiple acid products simultaneously can increase the risk of irritation and sensitivity.
- Avoid mixing with EUK 134, peptides, and 100% L Ascorbic Acid: These combinations may interfere with the efficacy of the products. After rinsing off the peeling solution, you can follow up with Niacinamide & Zinc or any hyaluronic acid products.
Product Description: The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution is a powerful exfoliating treatment that helps improve skin texture, reduce the appearance of fine lines, and unclog pores. It contains a blend of alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) and beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) to provide deep exfoliation. This treatment comes in a 30ml bottle.
The Ordinary – Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%
Azelaic Acid is a multifunctional ingredient known for its anti-inflammatory and brightening properties. The Ordinary’s Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% comes in a cream formula, which offers enhanced stability. Here’s how to best incorporate it into your skincare routine:
- Patch test before use: As with any new product, it’s important to patch test the Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% before applying it to your face.
- Avoid mixing with EUK 134 and Copper Peptides: To ensure the stability of the product, it’s best to avoid combining it with EUK 134 and Copper Peptides. Ascorbic acid powder or non-copper peptides may also cause irritations.
- Compatible with other products: Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% works well with most other skincare ingredients, making it a versatile addition to your routine.
Product Description: The Ordinary Azelaic Acid Suspension 10% is a cream-based treatment that helps brighten the skin, reduce the appearance of blemishes, and improve overall skin texture. It’s suitable for various skin concerns, including acne, hyperpigmentation, and rosacea. This suspension is available in a 30ml tube.
Lactic Acid, Mandelic Acid, and Salicylic Acid
The Ordinary offers various acid-based products that target different skincare concerns. Here are some key points to keep in mind when using these acids:
- Avoid using multiple acid products simultaneously: Using multiple acid products at the same time can lead to overexfoliation, irritation, and compromised skin barrier. Stick to one acid product per routine or alternate them on different days.
- Start with lower concentrations: If you’re new to acids, start with lower concentrations and gradually increase as your skin builds tolerance.
- Patch test before use: Before incorporating any new acid product, it’s always recommended to patch test a small area of your skin to check for any adverse reactions.
Remember to follow the specific instructions provided for each acid product and adjust your routine based on your skin’s needs.
Hydrators and Oils
The Ordinary – 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil and
The Ordinary – 100% Organic Virgin Sea-Buckthorn Fruit Oil
The Ordinary offers various hydrators and oils that can nourish and moisturize your skin. Let’s take a look at a couple of popular options:
- Use alone or mix with other products: The Ordinary’s 100% Organic Virgin Sea-Buckthorn Fruit Oil and 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil can be used alone as facial oils or mixed with other products for added hydration.
- Avoid mixing with products containing Niacinamide: Niacinamide can cause temporary flushing or redness when combined with these oils, so it’s best to use them separately.
Product Descriptions: The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil is a lightweight oil that is high in linoleic acid, linolenic acid, and pro-vitamin A. It helps moisturize the skin and promote a smooth complexion. This oil is available in a 30ml bottle. The Ordinary 100% Organic Virgin Sea-Buckthorn Fruit Oil is rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamins that help nourish and protect the skin. It comes in a 30ml bottle.
The Ordinary – Amino Acids + B5
The Amino Acids + B5 serum from The Ordinary provides hydration and supports the skin’s natural moisture barrier. Here’s how to incorporate it into your routine:
- Use before heavier creams or oils: Apply the Amino Acids + B5 serum to cleansed skin before using heavier creams or oils to enhance its moisturizing benefits.
- Avoid mixing with Vitamin C: Vitamin C can potentially destabilize the Amino Acids + B5 serum, so it’s best to use them separately.
Product Description: The Ordinary Amino Acids + B5 is a hydrating serum that combines amino acids, vitamin B5, and hyaluronic acid to support the skin’s natural moisture barrier and promote a plump, hydrated complexion. It comes in a 30ml bottle.
The Ordinary – Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA
Alpha Arbutin is a skin-brightening ingredient that helps reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and uneven skin tone. Here’s how to incorporate it into your routine:
- Apply before oils and creams: Apply the Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA serum to cleansed skin before applying heavier oils or creams.
- Avoid mixing with products containing Niacinamide: Niacinamide can affect the integrity of Alpha Arbutin, so it’s best to use them separately.
Product Description: The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA is a concentrated serum that targets hyperpigmentation, dark spots, and uneven skin tone. It contains alpha arbutin and hyaluronic acid to promote a brighter and more even complexion. This serum comes in a 30ml bottle.
The Ordinary – Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG
The Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG from The Ordinary is specifically designed to target puffiness and dark circles around the eyes. Here’s how to use it effectively:
- Apply sparingly around the eye area: Gently apply a small amount of the Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG to the under-eye area, avoiding direct contact with the eyes.
- Use before heavier creams or oils: Apply the solution before using heavier creams or oils in your eye area.
Product Description: The Ordinary Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG is an eye serum that contains caffeine and EGCG (Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside) derived from green tea. It helps reduce the appearance of puffiness and dark circles, giving a more awake and refreshed look. This solution comes in a 30ml bottle.
FAQs: The Ordinary Ultimate Guide to Mixing & Layering
What should I not mix with hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a hydrating ingredient that works well with many products. However, it’s best to avoid combining it with products containing retinol or exfoliating acids like glycolic acid. These combinations may cause sensitivity or irritation.
What can I mix with glycolic acid from The Ordinary?
Glycolic acid is an exfoliating ingredient that helps improve skin texture and tone. It can be used with hydrating serums, moisturizers, and oils. However, avoid combining it with retinol or other exfoliating acids to prevent overexfoliation.
Can I use Pycnogenol and niacinamide together?
Yes, you can use Pycnogenol, a powerful antioxidant derived from pine trees, with niacinamide. These two ingredients work well together and can provide multiple benefits to the skin, such as brightening and improving the appearance of fine lines.
What products from The Ordinary should I not mix?
It’s important to avoid mixing certain products to maintain their efficacy and prevent potential skin reactions. Some combinations to avoid include mixing antioxidants with acids, copper peptides with acids and vitamin C, and EUK 134 with acids and vitamin C.
Can I use Pycnogenol with Matrixyl from The Ordinary?
Yes, you can use Pycnogenol with Matrixyl, a peptide complex from The Ordinary. These two products are compatible and can be incorporated into your skincare routine to target different signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines.
Can I use The Ordinary’s Buffet with copper peptides?
It’s recommended to avoid using The Ordinary’s Buffet or Buffet + Copper Peptides with acids, vitamin C, and other antioxidants. These combinations may affect the stability and effectiveness of the products.
Can I use The Ordinary’s retinol products with their peptides?
Yes, you can use The Ordinary’s retinol products, such as Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion, with their peptides. These combinations are generally safe and can provide multiple benefits for anti-aging and skin renewal.
Can I mix The Ordinary’s Vitamin C products with other skincare ingredients?
It’s best to avoid mixing The Ordinary’s Vitamin C products with EUK 134, acids, copper peptides, and niacinamide. However, you can safely combine Vitamin C with other Vitamin C products, as well as with sunscreens for enhanced protection against environmental damage.
Remember to always check the specific instructions provided for each product and adjust your skincare routine according to your skin’s needs and sensitivities.
Check the link below to watch more details from Cassandra.
And let me know if you have any questions or thoughts about The Ordinary products. 💖💖💖
About our Chief Editor
This is Glow, finance professional in the day time, mother of two and skincare and makeup lover all day long. I decided to start our own community with my friends- sharing how to keep our face and body looking gorgeous at all times.