You must have heard that retinol is for anti-aging, hyaluronic acid for hydration, vitamin C to repair your skin… but did you know that when these ingredients are paired together correctly, they can do so much more?
When the right power ingredients come together, they form a dream team for your skin. In that same vein, some power ingredients can come together and clash, which then isn’t so good in obtaining your glow. It’s important to understand what each of these buzz-worthy ingredients does so you know how to layer them to reach your skin goals! Luckily for us, there are already some amazing products out there that have already teamed up the right ingredients for maximum efficacy.
Read on to discover which dream teams we can’t live without! Among these matches-made-in-heaven, you’ll find the optimal formulation for whatever anti-aging, hydration, or anti-acne results that you want.
For Anti-aging & Hydration: Retinol + Hyaluronic Acid
Retinol is one of this year’s buzziest ingredients, known for being a powerful anti-aging agent. It works by promoting cellular turnover which means getting rid of dead skin cells and revealing new ones. A common side effect of using such a powerful ingredient is dryness. Because the retinol is sloughing away dead skin and revealing the new, your skin becomes very sensitive and prone to dehydration. That’s why the perfect mate for retinol is hyaluronic acid. This tiny molecule is known to hold water in 1000x its weight! It helps provide hydration to your skin and counteracts the drying side effects of retinol.
Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Serum
Anti-aging face serum, powered by Retinol Tri-Active Technology—a fast-acting retinoid, a time-release retinol, and a retinol booster. Great for all skin types, even sensitive.
Main Ingredients: Retinol Tri-Active Technology Swertia Flower Extract Hyaluronic Acid
Collagen starts to decline in production once you hit 25. Apparently, everything goes downhill from there, literally. So in my mid/late 20’s I feel like it’s time to start addressing those wrinkles and try to prevent more. The Murad range contains their Retinol Tri-Active Technology which quickly and visibly minimizes lines and deep wrinkles, evens skin tone, and boosts skin radiance. Hyaluronic Acid Spheres attract moisture deep into the skin’s surface to plump and smooth skin. What’s more, retinol can help with breakouts as it helps resurface skin cells and clear bacteria. All-round miracle ingredient really! I’ve been using these delights for nearly 2 weeks, every other night and they have worked wonders. Breakouts have reduced, skin looks brighter and the badass wrinkle I had on my forehead has significantly reduced.
Other Products Contain These Ingredients
- LiftActiv Retinol HA Concentrate Retinol Serum is an anti-aging retinol serum that visibly fills and reduces wrinkles. Skin instantly appears smoother and plumped, facial expressions appear more relaxed.
- Both RetinolForte Treatment and Generate Dry Serums combine All-trans-Retinol and high potency antioxidants in a patented delivery system.
For Anti-Aging & Brightening: Retinol + Niacinamide
As you know, the great anti-aging superhero retinol can lead to skin irritation. What’s more, this naughty ingredient is likely to cause dryness or redness and can make skin sensitive to light (psst, always remember to wear sunscreen over your retinol!) To combat photosensitivity, pair your retinol with niacinamide. Niacinamide protects your skin from sun damage by strengthening the skin’s barrier. It can also help strengthen skin tolerance, which is the reason why niacinamide could relieve the thinning side effects of retinol.
DRUNK ELEPHANT A-Passioni Retinol Cream
A-Passioni restores your skin to its most youthful state. With vegan and gluten-free ingredients, this cream nourishes your skin while also fighting deep wrinkles and fine lines. Whats left is a vibrant complexion with bounce and clarity.
Main Ingredients: Retinol 1% , Vitamin F Triple Peptide Blend Glycerin Niacinamide
I really love the A-passion retinol cream from drunk elephant!!!
Since I have never used a product containing retinol, I was very hesitant at first, but now after using it for a month, I really regret that I did not start using this cream earlier!!!
The main ingredient of this cream is retinol, which not only fights aging and promotes collagen production, but also reduces inflammation and pore problems!!! Whether you are fighting small fine lines, dullness, pores or acne, it can help you solve all the problems!!! Now my skin have become more delicate and brighter, all the small blackheads have basically disappeared!!
Moreover, it also contains nicotinamide. Niacinamide can enhance the defense ability of skin, and it has a great effect on brightening and improving uneven skin tone. I have several acne scars on my face, and now they all become shallower, I’m sooooooo happy!!!
PS: Both retinol and nicotinamide can cause dryness and make your skin sensitive, so pay attention to sun protection and moisturization when using this cream! (whatever, I really love this cream!!!
*Other Products Contain These Ingredients
- The Resurgence Retinol Youth Renewal Night Cream is a preventative and corrective retinol for all ages that strengthens the skin’s protective barrier The science of retinol perfected, for fast results while being gentle on the skin.
- PCA Intensive Brightening Treatment can dramatically reduce discoloration and skin yellowing with this innovative retinol formula powered with resveratrol, hexylresorcinol, and niacinamide.
- Dermalogica’s Age Reversal Eye Complex is an advanced, microencapsulated Retinol helps smooth away the signs of skin aging around the eyes. Age Reversal Firming Complex works with antioxidant Vitamin C, powerful peptides, and botanical extracts to fortify and smooth skin.
For Anti Acne & Hydration: AHA / BHA + Squalane
Acne treatments with AHA’s and BHA’s draw out moisture from your skin because they work to unclog pores and remove excess sebum produced by your face. It’s an important part of treating acne but can also have very drying side effects. To restore moisture and bring balance to your skin, squalane makes the perfect partner to AHA’s and BHA’s. Squalane hydrates, moisturizes, and soothes your skin while bringing balance back to it. It might seem counterintuitive to put oil on your face while using an ingredient that draws oil from your skin, but actually, they work harmoniously together because squalane is an oil that most closely mimics the sebum our skin naturally produces. So, while the acids are taking the acne-causing excess oils out, it’s actively being replaced by the restorative and balancing squalane oil.
BIOSSANCE Squalane + Glycolic Renewal Mask
It takes just 10 minutes to give your skin a triple-action treat with our all-in-one peel, exfoliator and mask. Glycolic acid, multi-alpha-hydroxy acids and mineral spheres work together to gently polish away dull, rough patches and minimize fine lines, discoloration and enlarged pores to reveal a glowing, baby-smooth complexion. With this glycolic facial, get ready to send your skin’s radiance into the stratosphere with this exfoliating change agent.
Main Ingredients: Bilberry, Sugar Cane Sugar Maple Extracts Glycolic, Lactic Tartaric, Malic Acids (AHA) Squalane
Biossance has by far my favorite exfoliant with their squalane glycolic formula. The glycolic acid means it also has a chemical exfoliation piece combined with the small grains, which makes it the best of both worlds!
I prefer chemical exfoliation to physical so that it penetrates the skin deeper and doesn’t cause any surface irritation. However, this one is so gentle and leaves my skin baby smooth after application! The squalane adds an effect so that this formula doesn’t irritate the skin at all. Sometimes glycolic acids can have this effect but this one doesn’t leave me at all!
I highly recommend this product to anyone looking to add chemical or physical exfoliation to their routine! I think it’s reasonably priced around 60 dollars as it will last a long time!
*Other Products Contain These Ingredients
- Peter Thomas Roth’s 10% Glycolic Solutions Moisturizer is a gentle, time-released form of Glycolic Acid in a rich moisturizing formula helps produce a beautiful, fresh and more youthful-looking complexion.
- Biopelle Tensage Daily Growth Factor Serum is a daily-use growth factor serum that helps repair, protect and maintain the appearance of youthful skin with SCA 15 Bio repair Index.
- Obagi Sun Shield Tint Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen is a tinted sunscreen that provides protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Hypoallergenic, sheer, and fragrance-free.
For Brightening and Anti-Aging: Vitamin C + Vitamin E + Ferulic Acid
Vitamin C is one of the most famed antioxidant ingredients. Its reparative properties and protective nature make it a staple in any skincare routine. Another famed antioxidant is vitamin E, which helps to fight off UV damage while nourishing the skin. When paired together, these two vitamins do double the duty to protect your skin.
Though vitamin C and E both work well in protecting your skin, they are also both unstable ingredients—that means that on their own, they oxidize and decompose rather quickly; in short, they have a very short shelf life. That’s why effective vitamin C’s and E’s are hard to come by—it takes a careful formulation to give them a long and stable shelf life. Enter ferulic acid, another antioxidant that protects and preserves the skin. Though ferulic acid is also an oxidizing ingredient, when combined with both vitamin’s C and E, the shelf life of the product is extended to three times! This trio of antioxidant ingredients truly come together to give you the most effective and long-lasting formulation in skin protection.
PAULA’S CHOICE Resist C15 Super Booster
BOOST C15 Super Booster from Paula’s Choice can give you brighter skin with Vitamin C. Concentrated 15% vitamin C is combined with replenishing antioxidants to provide exceptional results: improving the appearance of uneven skin tone, lessening environmental stress & brightening dull complexion.
Main Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) Tocopherol (vitamin E) Ferulic Acid
I recently wrote about C-Firma, a daytime serum containing 15% L-Ascorbic acid that has helped lighten my pigmentation. I wanted to tell you about an alternate vitamin c serum which I know for sure solves the issues. […]The C-15 Super Booster comes in a droplet bottle as opposed to an air-tight pump bottle […] it does contain the most important players 15% l-ascorbic acid, plus vitamin E and Ferulic acid.
It can be used directly on the skin or mixed in with another serum or moisturizer. I credit the lightening of my pigmentation to C-Firma but looking at the ingredients and comparing the two I believe this would work just as effectively on more or less the same level.
Upon speaking to several friends on here who didn’t get on with C-Firma, many of them went on to C-15 and are enjoying the product immensely, so it is definitely worth looking into.
*Other Products Contain These Ingredients
- SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic is a potent Vitamin C serum that delivers visible anti-aging benefits. It’s free from parabens and is gentle on skin, suitable for dry or sensitive skin types. Over 72 hours after daily application, the formula delivers enviable benefits that last. Just apply 4-5 drops of the fast-absorbing formula to clean skin and watch the visible effects of anti-aging diminish over time.
- Peter Thomas Roth has a potent anti-aging serum can dramatically improve the look of fine lines, wrinkles, firmness, uneven skin tone, texture, brightness and dehydration. Potent-C Power Serum contains 20% THD- Ascorbate, an ultra-stable scientific breakthrough ingredient 50X more powerful than traditional Vitamin C. By using it daily, you can see a significant improvement in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and even firmness within two weeks.
- Or go for Perricone MD’s Vitamin C Ester CCC + Ferulic Brightening Complex if you are looking for potent, supercharged serum rich in antioxidants and formulated with our proprietary Vitamin C Ester and two additional forms of vitamin C for our highest concentration of 20%.
This article was taken from Cherie to make it available to all.
What do you think?4 VotesUpvote